Friday, December 22, 2006

Seafood for lunch

El Cangrejito
57 x 64 y 66

The crab is the name of this, the best, seafood taco stand in the world. Well maybe. The owner can be a crab too but lately he has been awfully friendly. Don't let him scare you. Sit down order a beer and ask for one or two of everything. That will make him happy and then you can decide what you like. Don't be offended if he serves his loyal clientel before he sneers at you. I never sat in the back room until a couple of weeks ago. It is a treasure trove of kitsch and it takes the edge off the wait for your food. The best things to order are cherna, langousta, venado, pulpo, camarones and of course cangrejito.

Marlin Azul
62 x 57 y 59
Fish soup superb. Outstanding ceviche of octopus or shrimp or fish or mixed. I like all the tacos. Fried breaded grouper is 3 dollars and enough for 2, crispy and fresh. I like the bar on the side where you can make eye contact with the servers. The room next door has AC but the waiter is less attentive and there is a mirrored wall. I'm just beyond the point of wanting to look at myself having lunch!

La Pigua
Avenida Cupules x 62

A business man's luncheon restaurant that is open from 12-6. It's pricey, it's stuffy and it's not bad at all. Reputed to be the best seafood restaurant in the Yucatan and if that's true then it is a sad state of affairs for seafood. Is it the aquariums or the decor alone that reminds me of a shopping mall in Waco,Texas circa 1975? Don't think that the grilled items on the menu will be grilled. Go for the fried anything. Fried is always good! If you are not going out to the beach this could be as close as you'll get to the real deal. Huachinago/Snapper, Robalo/Snook,Dorado/Dolphin Fish, Boquinete/Hog Fish, Pamapno, Cazon/Baby Shark, Rubia/Yellow Tail. I've warned you about the decor and ambiance, enjoy the food.... it's good.

Update: June 11, 2008

I've been to La Pigua 3 times in the past 2 weeks. I'm immune now to the decor as I sit with my back to the room and find an empty wall to stare at. I actually prefer to sit in the smoking area and not the main room. Order the ceviche, it is enough for 2 or 4 people and after that you don't need anything else except the fresh coconut cake. I think it's one of the best desserts in the world...and I've been around the world a few times leaving a sugar trail behind me. My octopus was too salty to eat but Josh's was great. Everyone one else had fish and they loved it. There was a real problem with the wine. The two things we asked for from the list were not there. Then we were offered Lancers, yes Lancers. And then a slew of chardonays...nay, nay. We passed over the Rhines and went for some mediocre bottle of Chilean sauvignon blanc and our table of 6 which normally could have drank a bottle each shared one bottle and did not order another....I doubt that they will either get or heed my suggestions so dear reader.... order beer.

2 comments:

Ellen Fields said...

I think El Cangrejito is out of business too... check next time you drive by.

La Pigua had GREAT shrimp ceviche the last time I was there. But the ambiance leaves a lot to be desired, it's true.

John Prentice Powell said...

I eat at El Cangrejito almost every week. I know it is open. At one point I did think it was closed and was almost in tears. I think they had the nerve to take a week off.

I have no problem with the food at La Pigua per se but the atmosphere gives me the creeps. Reminds me of a businessman's restaurant in downtown Waco.....